Record. Track. Capture. Find.
Their safety is your first priority. Keep your friends and family safe at home and on the roads with MiBlackBox®.
You are not alone
Out and about late at night or road tripping with friends… you are never alone with MiBlackBox®.
MiBlackBox® is a personal safety app and USSD service that gives you and your family peace of mind, putting the power to keep your loved ones safe in the palm of your hand.
MiBlackBox® will show and direct you to emergency services close to where you are: hospitals, police stations, fire stations and ambulance services – and you can load your own armed response company and insurance company contact details as well.
Tracking (app only)
Friends or family members using MiBlackBox® can track you and you can track them. Tracking history available for 48 hours. You can have the peace of mind of always knowing where your loved ones are, and that they are there for you.
Use this functionality to create a recording that will automatically be sent to your listed contacts along with your location (app only) so they can respond immediately.
In an emergency situation, record an audio message that will automatically be sent to your listed contacts along with your location (app only) so they can respond immediately.
Capture a picture in the app and it will automatically be sent to your emergency contacts and uploaded to a secure server. This is useful if you need a visual record of an incident or person to be used later as evidence.
All your pictures, videos and voice recordings will be saved and stored for up to 6 months. They will also be fully encrypted so that no unauthorised person can access them.
MiBlackBox-You simply cannot leave your house without it. The simple to use interface makes in app navigating such a pleasure. The favourites touch bar is simply a “touch” away, Why wait.. Get this app Now!!!
You simply must have this app on your phone. Don’t leave home without it and don’t let your family and friends leave home without it either.
– Cape Town
MiBlackBox is a great app for anyone who wants to make sure their loved ones are safe. It allows me to make sure my kids are where they are supposed to be and be notified if there is ever an emergency.
– Miami, USA
MiBlackBox is a must have for any parent raising teenagers and young adults today. This app gives you comfort and peace of mind, especially on those late nights out. The tracking function makes it easy to check their movements, when they “forget to let you know.” I use this app everyday and highly recommend it to all parents.
– Johannesburg, SA
MiBlackbox a small application with enormous features. As a parent, husband or wife this app gives you peace of mind for your loved ones. I have two daughter’s studying in different countries; with this App, they are always close at hand.
This App is gives us peace of mind and is a must for any family. I highly recommended it
Paul & Sandra Brockman
– Dublin Republic of Ireland
R149.99 per year
You get two months free!
1 + 4 people
R499.99 per year
You get two months free!
Tips & FAQs
The list of frequently asked questions (“FAQ’s”) are common questions which tend to recur or queries by new and existing users. The answers to the FAQ’s provided below are for your information only and are subject always to MiBlackBox’s terms and conditions, as published on the website from time to time. The contents of this section are further subject to change at any time at the instance of MiBlackBox.
How much battery does the MiBlackBox app use?
Currently there is no material effect on the battery life of your mobile phone once the app is installed. The app draws power from the battery when in use in much the same way as any app would. The app uses location services that are already enabled on your phone and may use additional power when activated. This is however dependent on various factors such as what other apps may be active at the same time, frequency of use of the app etc.
How much data does the MiBlackBox app use?
It all depends on app usage. If you use the app regularly, it will use more data than a person that uses it very rarely. On average, a person would use around 50MB a month but data consumption will vary depending on the number of images and videos captured, voice recordings made, the use of the location functionality and the like.
How many emergency contacts can I have?
The USSD service supports one emergency contact. The app service allows for multiple emergency contacts. We have not placed a limit on the amount of contacts you can add on the app.
How do I cancel a voice recording sent in error?
If you send a voice recording in error, it cannot be cancelled, but you are able to stop the recording at any given time whilst recording. We suggest that you contact your emergency contact/s and notify him/her that the recording was sent in error.
How does the MiBlackBox tracking feature work?
This feature offers real time tracking. Emergency contacts (whom are authorised to do so by you, the user) are able to track your device/location in real time as well as your historical position for up to 48 hours. In order to ensure the tracking feature is operational, the following needs to be checked and / or activated where applicable:
- your mobile phone must be turned on.;
- the minimum operating system requirements for Apple is iOS9 and up and for Android, 5.1 and up;
- location service must be set to always on (location and tracking services may be affected by other tracking apps or products which have been uploaded and/or installed on your mobile phone);
- background refresh must always be on;
- battery saver mode must be off;
- motion and fitness must be on – this assists in managing the tracking when you have stopped and then start moving again;
- you and your emergency contact/s must be connected to his/her mobile network;
- you must have sufficient airtime and/or data available and/or be connected to a functional Wi-Fi network;
- data must always be switched on.
Please note that for users with Apple or Android mobile phones, the location functionality may stop or be intermittent if you stop moving and will, subject to all the settings being correctly set and correct coverage, ordinarily resume once you move outside of a 200 – 500 meter radius from that position.
How does the MiBlackBox voice call work?
In an emergency situation, simply open the app and push the voice call icon which will trigger an audio recording of what is taking place. Your emergency contact / s will receive a notification that you have triggered a call. After 5 minutes (default setting for terminating the call) or once you stop the call, the audio message is sent to your emergency contact/s along with your location (in the case of the app only). You and your emergency contacts must however be connected to the mobile network and/or have data to support the voice call and in app messaging service. In the case of the USSD based service, you must have airtime as calls are charged at normal service provider rates.
Why can’t I track my emergency contact?
- if their phone storage is full, the tracking history may not be stored;
- location services may be switched off;
- he/she may not have data available on their phone;
- may have switched off their phone;
- battery saver mode may be on
- their app may have conflicted with another app
- he/she may not be in a mobile network area;
- possibly network coverage issues
- In the case of Apple, they need to accept location “when in use” as part of the install pop up messages. They must then go to settings and update location services to Always. After a while Apple will send a pop up in which they must also select location Always!
- He/she may be on Wi-Fi network that is not active.
Why does my screen turn black when I play back voice recordings?
This is a feature of Apple devices which we cannot change.
Sometimes the app seems to stop tracking me for no reason.
To protect your privacy, your stationary location is only stored on arrival, after this tracking may not happen until you move outside of a 200-500 meter radius from that position.
It could also be network related and or a conflicting app. It is advisable to regularly open your app and check it.
For how long is your tracking history stored?
We store tracking history for up to 48 hours. In the application we only display 50 pins. For more detailed information, please visit the website and login with your username and pin.
Will I be able to send voice, video or picture recordings without data or Wi-Fi?
If you are using the MiBlackBox app and are not using data or on a functional Wi-Fi network, you will be able to make a call by way of a GSM failover. This means that you will be able to send a voice recording via ordinary cellular networks, if they are available and if you have airtime. Due to no data being available, your location will not be sent. Also, you will not be able to send video or picture recordings via cellular networks, only voice calls.
How do I unsubscribe from MiBlackBox?
In respect of the app service for iOS devices:
- Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store
- Tap your Apple ID
- Tap View Apple ID
- Sign in
- Tap Subscriptions
- Tap the relevant subscription
- Tap Cancel Subscription for MiBlackBox
For Android devices:
- Open the Google Play Store app
- Tap Menu
- Tap Subscriptions
- Tap on the app you would like to cancel
- Tap Cancel Subscription
If you have any problems unsubscribing from the app please contact email@example.com.
For the USSD service, you may terminate the service by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or follow the unsubscribe process of your mobile network operator.
How do I ensure the availability of the MiBlackBox service?
You must at all times ensure the following in respect of the USSD and app-based service as applicable:
- your mobile phone is on;
- the minimum operating system requirements for Apple is iOS9 and up and for Android, 5.1 and up;
- location services must be set to always on (location and tracking services may be affected by other tracking apps or products which have been uploaded and/or installed on your mobile phone);
- In the case of Apple, you need to accept location “when in use” as part of the install pop ups. Then go to settings and update location services to Always.
After a while Apple will send a pop up message in which you must select location Always!
- background refresh is always on;
- low battery mode is switched off;
- fitness and motion is on;
- Hauwei – you may need to set “app launch” to manual and switch background services to on
- Go to settings -> battery -> app launch -> miblackbox then switch off “managed automatically” and make sure “run in background is set to on.
- data is on;
- you are connected to your mobile network;
- airtime and/or data is available and you are connected to a functional Wi-Fi network;
- you can send and receive SMS’s;
- when you travel outside the boarders of your home country or domicile address and wish to make use of the service (subject to the limitations contained in our terms and conditions) you must be connected to a functional Wi-Fi network or enable the data roaming functionality on your mobile phone, which will attract the call rates and/or data charges of the international service provider’s/mobile network/s usual charges (for which you will be liable);
- microphone is turned on and in good working order and condition;
- camera must be on and in good working order and condition;
- notifications are allowed;
- the battery of your mobile phone is sufficiently charged;
- your mobile phone is in good working order and condition at all times which includes all features and/or components necessary to fully support the operation and functionality of the service;
- your mobile phone is compatible and enabled;
- that your emergency contact/s:
- details are correct and updated at all times
- must be connected to his/her mobile network, have airtime and/or data available or be connected to a functional Wi-Fi network;
- battery on their mobile phone must be sufficiently charged and their mobile must be phone turned on;
- his/her mobile phone is in good working order and condition in order to support the operation and functionality of the service.
For how long can I access pictures, videos and/or voice recordings which I have taken:
- In the case of videos, voice recordings and/or pictures, three (3) calendar months from the date upon which a video, picture and/or voice recording is uploaded;
- immediately following the three (3) month period referred to above, the voice recording, picture and/or videos may be stored for a further period of three (3) calendar months and shall be subject to the following conditions:
- you must direct a request in writing to MiBlackBox at least one (1) calendar month prior to the expiry of the three (3) month period referred to above to MiBlackBox at email@example.com;
- If no request in writing is received from you, MiBlackBox may permanently delete the video/s, picture/s and call recordings. Please refer to our terms and conditions in this regard.
What makes MiBlackBox unique when compared to similar products on the market?
- It is friend and family based rather than using third party call centres and / or armed response companies. Friends and family members are, in most cases, nearby and able to assist. This allows you to use the app without needing to rely on third party service providers.
- It is discreet. Unlike most panic services that require you to trigger a panic and engage with a call centre agent, it allows you to discreetly trigger the service and the voice files, pictures and or video files captured will be securely stored and shared with your emergency contact/s along with your location.
- To this end, the video and voice file is available to you and your emergency contact/s to hear what is happening and whom may respond accordingly.
- The voice files, pictures and / or video files can be shared along with the location with other third parties who don’t have the app allowing unrelated parties to assist and/or respond.
- It will work in South Africa and most countries as long as it has network coverage – data or Wi-Fi.
- We have not limited the amount of emergency contacts in the case of the app
- MiBlackbox will also identify and direct you to nearby emergency services which includes the police, fire department services, ambulance services and hospitals.
- In the case of tracking and location services, we offer the following as a value add:
- real time tracking of users across platforms along with up to 48 hours of history;
- we provide, where possible, the date, time, speed and battery level of the person being tracked.