What is personal information?
What information is collected?
In order to use our Service, you will be required to provide us with your personal information or, if you are a parent or guardian of a minor, personal information concerning that minor, including:
- when you register to use our Service, various kinds of information such as your name, phone number, sms addresses, email addresses and contact details of your friends, family members and/or guardians whom you appoint as your emergency contact/s (“emergency contacts”);
- when you interact with our Service such as the actions taken by you while using or interacting with our Service (for example adding emergency contacts or information related to emergencies, which may include incidents and communications that occur during and after such events);
- when you choose to make payment through your account with either the Apple or Google App stores or via Mobile Network or 3rd party billing partners or in any other manner available to you for the use of The Service, such as your payment information and/or billing address (this information is held by our certified payment collections agent and MiBlackBox does NOT hold this information); and
- personal or demographic information and customer feedback upon request from us from time to time.
We also automatically collect personal information from you in various ways when you use the Website and/or our Service, such as:
- your browser type and language, referring website addresses, access times, location, IP address, as well as the pages you visit;
- details of transactions or payments you make in connection with or related to our Service;
- information about the type of operating system you use, your account activity and files accessed or used by you.
We may also supplement this information with information from other companies.
How is your information used?
In general, we use your personal information to process your requests or transactions, to provide you with information or services you request, to inform you about other information, events, promotions, products or services we think will be of interest to you, to facilitate your use of and our administration and operation of our Service, and to otherwise provide our Service. For example, we may use your personal information:
- to request feedback and to enable us to develop, customize and improve our publications, products and our Service;
- to conduct marketing analysis, to send you surveys or newsletters, to contact you about services, products, activities, offers from us or our partners and for other marketing, informational, product development and promotional purposes;
- to respond to customer support inquiries, for assistance with our product and service development; and to inform you of updates to products and/or services from us that better meet your needs;
- when you ask us to invite a friend, family member, or other guardian to join our Service, to send such person a message on your behalf using your name and contact details and reminders or notifications to them in your name (only invite people you know with their permission to do so); and
- for any other purposes about which we may notify you or we may be required by law.
We may send you communications or data regarding our Service, including but not limited to (i) notices (in the form of app pushes, sms and/or email) regarding the use of our Service, including any notices concerning breaches of our terms and conditions), (ii) updates, and (iii) promotional information and materials regarding our products and services. You may at any time opt-out of or stop receiving promotional emails from us by following the op-out instructions provided in those emails. You may also opt-out of receiving promotional emails and other promotional communications from us at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific request. Opt-out requests will not apply to transactional service messages, such as security alerts and notices about your current account and services.
We will process your personal information in accordance with our obligations in terms of the relevant laws, including:
- in the case of South African users – the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 25 of 2002, and/or in the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013;
- in the case of European Users, the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/67.
We will not request unnecessary personal information, process your personal information outside the legitimate purpose for which it was collected, give, sell, rent, share, or trade any of your personal information or any data that you store using our Service to any third party except:
- to comply with laws or respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to share your personal information in connection with an acquisition, merger, or sale of all or a substantial portion of our business, with or to another company; or
- in the good faith belief that disclosure is needed to respond to an emergency, or protect the personal safety of any person;
We may, from time to time, start a business relationship with third parties who we think are trustworthy and who have confirmed that their privacy practices are consistent with ours (“Service Providers”). For example, we may hire Service Providers to provide services like hosting and maintenance, data storage and management, and marketing and promotions. We only provide our Service Providers with the information they need to perform these services for us. Each Service Provider must agree to use reasonable security procedures and practices, appropriate to the type of information involved, in order to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Service Providers are prohibited from using personal information except as permitted by us.
We also share aggregated demographic information about our customers (including you), sales, and traffic to our partners and advertisers.
Where is my information stored?
The servers on which your personal information are stored are kept in a controlled environment with limited access. Our servers are hosted with Amazon Web Services Inc. in the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, United States and/or South Africa. The hosting provider is bound by a privacy agreement entered into with us and your personal information is stored securely, privately and is accessed using encrypted channels. In case of fire or damage to these servers, a backup solution exists to ensure no single point of failure.
Is my information secure?
We take all reasonable technical and organisational measures necessary to protect information we collect from you and to prevent the loss, damage, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, and unauthorised destruction to such information.
All information is stored in a secure database which is protected behind firewalls and is hosted in such a way that the database itself is not accessible to the outside world. However, the transmission of information via the internet is at your own risk and we accept no responsibility or liability for any security breach or in the event your information is damaged, loss disclosed, copied or modified in any unauthorised manner. In addition, we cannot guarantee that any passively collected personal information you choose to include in documents you store on our systems or the systems of third party storage providers through the our Service are maintained at adequate levels of protection to meet specific needs or obligations you may have relating to that information. As a precautionary measure, we encourage you to download any information stored on your behalf and to save such information to a secure environment. We also recommend that you carry out regular back ups.
Your account information and access to our service is accessible only through the use of an individual user ID and password/pin. To protect the confidentiality of your personal information, you must keep your password/pin confidential and not disclose it to any other person. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password/pin has been misused or used without your consent. In addition, always logout and close your browser when you finish your session. Please note that we will never ask you to disclose your password/pin in an unsolicited phone call or email.
How long is my information retained for?
Your information will be stored, processed and used by us only for so long as your account with us is active and as may be necessary to provide our Service, comply with any applicable laws, resolve disputes and to enforce our agreements.
What are my rights?
You can access, update, rectify and delete the personal information you have provided to us by updating your information within the app, sending us an email at email@example.com, logging onto the Website or by dialling the USSD string *120*8821# or other strings published or advertised by us from time to time.
You have the right, at any time, to:
- know whether your personal information is being stored or processed by us;
- consult with us as to the contents and rationale for processing of your personal information;
- view and request copies of your personal information;
- verify the accuracy of your personal information or to request that your personal information be updated, supplemented or corrected;
- withdraw a previously given consent for the processing or automated processing of your personal information;
- request us to transfer your personal information to another organisation or directly to you under certain conditions;
- object to the processing of your personal information for any and all legitimate reasons; and
- request the deletion of your personal information.
Our Service is for purchase by adults, although it may be used by children. If you are under the age of 18, you may only use the Website and our Service with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Amendment of this Policy
Last updated: 20 Jan, 2020